Belly fat can be frustrating to a lot of people. For the fact that it looks displeasing aesthetically makes it even worse. Apart from the physical burden, belly fat can lead to other serious health problems if left unchecked. However, if you must get rid of belly fat, you must be prepared to make some changes to your lifestyle and diet.
There are no shortcuts to losing belly fat. You have to be patient, give it some time, and adopt a lot of lifestyle changes. This means that you should be prepared to make some sacrifices. For example, you must have to abandon your old way of eating everything to eating some well regulated diet plan like vegetables and foods high in fiber.
In trying to lose belly fat, there are a lot of people who think diet is only what does the magic but that is not entirely true. The reality is that diet alone cannot produce fast result; you need to combine it with exercises to increase the effectiveness. In fact, exercise and dieting go hand in hand. You need an hour of targeted exercises daily to stand a chance of reducing your belly fat. This article compiles a list of exercises you can do to reduce your belly fat. Note that these exercises are simple but what is more important is the consistency required to achieve desired result.
Bicycle exercises are very effective when reducing belly fat is targeted. It is not as difficult as it sounds as it can be done by anyone who is determined to get result. Besides, you do not even need a bicycle to do this type of exercise. How can a bicycle exercise be done? The following steps below simples it
- First, ensure that you lie on the floor. Keep your hands behind your head or by your sides just the same way you do it in crunches. (We will talk about crunches later in this article)
- Your legs should be lifted and then bent at the knees
- Your right knee should be brought close to your chest while you keep left leg away
- Then bring left leg close to your chest and take right leg away
- Continue doing this like you are paddling a bicycle.
The exercise is simple and one that you can easily enjoy if you keep trying it
Lunge twist is also a simple exercise for belly fat reduction. It is particularly useful for beginners but everyone can try it. To do a lunge twist exercise, follow the procedure below
- First, you are required to stand with your legs with hip wide apart and slightly bent knees
- Your hands should be lifted, aligned to your shoulders while they are kept parallel to the ground
- You need to take a step forward using your right leg, sit down like you are on one chair in order for your knees to be at 90 degrees from the floor. Your toes should support your left leg which should be stood backwards
- Keep your spine straight and not bend it forward
- Twist the torso first to the right and then to the left. Remember not to twist the leg
- Do this exercise for about 60 times.
Simply exercise, isn’t it?
The list of exercises is written without following the order of the most effective exercise. However, if we are to number them based on the most effective to the least effective, then crunches will definitely occupy the number 1 spot. It is being said that if you want to lose your belly fat faster, then try the crunches exercise. It is an easy exercise if you follow the procedure below
- Get a mat, lie down flat on it. Lie in such a way that your knees are bent and feet remains on the ground
- Lift your hands up in such a way that it is crossed on your chest or behind your head
- Try to inhale deeply when lifting your torso(Upper) off the floor, then exhale
- As you get back down, inhale while you exhale when going up
- Repeat over and over again
Note that as a form of precaution, you are not expected to jerk your head forward during the crunches exercises. This is because of the pain it will inflict on your neck.
This is like an advancement of the crunches exercise because it is more effective. However, you need to get used to the basic or regular crunches exercise in order to advance to the twist type. To do the twist crunches exercise, follow the procedure below
- Raise your hands behind your head as you lie down on the floor
- Like the crunches exercise, bend your knees while keeping your feet on the floor
- Lift your right shoulder to the left while you keep the torso (left side) on the ground
- Alternate the step above
- Repeat over and over again (At least 10 times)
Like twist crunches, side crunch exercise follows the same pattern with just a little difference. For example, in side crunch, you only tilt your leg to the same side with your shoulders simultaneously. As part of precautionary measure taken when doing side crunch, ensure that are kept slow and steady to avoid getting hurt.
All crunches exercises are good when it comes to reducing belly fat. The only thing here is that the combination of all the crunches exercise makes it even more effective. Reverse crunches also works like the twist crunches. Here you tilt your legs behind your shoulders simultaneously. To avoid any case of injury, it is important to keep your back at a straight position during the exercises.
Vertical leg Crunch
Like other crunches exercises, the vertical leg crunch produces great results and even greater results when combined with other crunches exercises. It presents a faster way to lose belly fat. To do this type of exercise, follow the procedure below
- Place a mat on the floor, lie on it, extend your legs upwards pointing to the ceiling and have one knee cross over the other one
- After positioning, breathe in; lift the upper body towards the pelvis like you would have done in the crunches exercise
- Start breathing out slowly, then breathe in again while bringing yourself down and while you go up, exhale
- Repeat it many times
It is important not to overdo it especially at the initial stages. Take it easy by repeating it few times. Overdoing it has a way of making you feel sore and get discouraged.
Stomach Vacuum Exercise
This is an important exercise for belly fat even though it has low impact. The main focus of this exercise is breathing instead of getting an increased heart rate. To do a stomach vacuum exercise, follow the procedure below
- Position yourself on the floor by supporting your body with your knees and hands
- Try to inhale a little bit deeply then loosen your abdomen
- Exhale as you tighten the abdomen muscles
- Your are expected to hold this position for a period of about 30 seconds
- Repeat the whole process over again
It is important to perform this exercise with an empty stomach as a precautionary measure to avoid indigestion. People who suffer from lung or heart problem should also avoid this exercise.
Most people don’t get to harness the benefits of swimming. Note that swimming is an exercise which can help you lose weight, tone your body and make you fit at the same time. Here, you have to choose strokes that are strenuous in order to burn a lot of calories. Swimming can be done once a week for a start and gradually increase the frequency.
Walking is a cardio exercise that can help you lose belly fat. It looks to simple but in reality it is very effective. You can burn a whole lot of unwanted belly fat and even all fat just working for about 40 minutes five days in a week. However, ensure that you diet is good and healthy and you can see results over time. While walking is a low impact exercise, what it does is to increase your heart rate plus your metabolism. This is what helps you burn off calories and remove those accumulated fat on your belly.
Walking is totally safe when compared to other exercise since the risk of injury is low. Therefore, it is perfect for everyone to begin with.
Cycling is a good cardio exercise even though not everyone would like it due to the nature. However, if you like cycling, then it is a good way to burn away the unwanted fat on your body and by extension your belly. What cycling does is to keep your heart rate up as you keep cycling.
Jogging is an aerobic exercise and it is very useful for those trying to burn out belly fat. It is easier to do than running. Most people find it difficult to do the running exercise since it exerts more energy but jogging can be a substitute. According to research studies, it is being suggested that jogging is even more effective in reducing belly fat than weightlifting. This shows that simple jogging can make a big difference when fighting obesity and belly fat issues. You can make jogging a habit by doing it at least 5 times in a week.
The merits of running in fighting body fat cannot be overemphasized. What running does is to keep your up your heart rate which in turn helps you burn off calories and lose body fat. Therefore, it is an effective way to reduce your belly fat without exerting too much cost on you.
Like jogging, running is safe and does not pose in hazard as long as you run in a safe environment. However, note that running does not mean you should run to fast. You can run as fast as you can on a regular basis preferably 3 to 5 times in a week.
Anyone who intend to lose body fat and by extension belly fat should embrace cardio exercises. In fact, there are even other health benefits of doing cardio exercises other than fat reduction. For example, cardio exercises help you sleep better as well as increase your lungs capacity. The most important thing is to have a rigid plan for cardio exercises and follow it through. It can be done 3 to 5 days in a week if you so desire. Cardio exercise is effective and over time you should be seeing the positive result.
Rolling Plank Exercise
Last on our list is the rolling plank exercise. This type of exercise helps to reduce belly fat at a faster pace. What the rolling plank exercise does is to train the muscles of your body at your lower back, hip and abdomen. The procedure for this exercise is not difficult.
First, you have to get yourself positioned on the floor with your knees resting on the ground. Then align your neck with your spine. Let your knees be lifted up as you support the legs on the toes. You can now contract the knees as you breathe normally. You are expected to stay at this position moving to and fro for a period of 30 seconds.
The rolling plank exercise may not be very easy to do but it can be achieved if you put your mind to it. The result is expected to start showing after some time.
All the exercises listed above are effective in the reduction of belly fat. It requires patience and dedication to be successful. Do not do the exercise just once and expect overnight result.
Finally, it is important to ensure that your body does not really get used to any fixed exercise. This is why you should keep switching exercises from time to time. There is no doubt that your belly fat will reduce if you follow the suggestions in this article.